Here is a brief look into how the Mermaid costume was created!
about: a 1 1/2 of blue felt
shimmery fabric for scales
blue and green tulle for scales
1/2 yard of matching cotton fabric for the top
a piece of blue shimmery fabric
First, I cut the Mermaid tail out of a piece of freezer paper. I also cut my scale shape out of freezer paper also.
Lay out the piece of felt. I folded the entire piece of felt and cut it down the side. The felt was then folded over and the tail was cut out using the pattern piece. I was really excited after cutting the tail! It looked just like our vision!
After cutting the tail, the tulle was folded and cut using the pattern piece.
The blue fabric piece was used to make the top of the Mermaid costume. I folded the material in half and then trimmed it up on the sides so that it would be the same width across as the tail.
I fold the material again, and cut out arm holes.
I sewed ribbon down the tail and sewed on the scales. I ended up using about 3 0r 4 layers for the scales. I really wanted the scales to show up in the pictures!
I added a piece of blue shimmery fabric to the top. I wanted it to be cute and modest, yet still have shape to it.
I sewed ribbon to both sides and to the top.
The goal was to have a costume that would be very versatile. We needed it to fit a wide range of girls!
I also made a quick little accessory to go with it!
Here is the finished product! Everything came together and looked amazing! I asked for a volunteer for this blog picture and one of our 1st grade teachers happily agreed!
Linking up at: